THE LIFE AND RHYMES OF IAN DURY Plotline written by MARK WHITE with music written by IAN DURY and the BLOCKHEADS.
I dont go to the Theatre very often, although when I do go I usually enjoy myself, and this trip to the Garrick in Londons west end was no exception.
The show was only on for a three day run while the main show at the Theatre was on a break, or something... anyway, this gave the two man show about IAN DURY three days to show London what had been generating such good reviews where it was first shown at Edinboroughs annual Festival.
The show, written by lead actor Mark White, was based upon the writings and stories of Dury himself, as well as that of his long term minder. and was as funny as it was good.
Along the way the narration changed from the Dury character to that of his minder, and also used were Dury songs that helped to make points or to begin them (as well as entertain).
The show was set in Durys front room sinse, as a "mustard" he wasnt a get up and go whenever he felt like it person. It was also the place where a lot of the two characters banter took place, so it was a setting set.
The show covered the years from the early Stiff Records era till Durys death, and featured parts of Durys life that had an impact on the outside world, my favourite part was when 1982 was declared "the year of the disabled", this 'year of sympathy' wasnt one of Durys loves and was the insperation behind one of his greater tracks 'Spasticus Autisticus'.
Ironically even though Dury was a "mustard" (as he kept referring to himself) and the song was about living with disability in an 'abled' world, the song was banned! It was alright for an abled person to present a cute girl in a wheel chair with an award but a disabled person singing about it like it is, was deemed a bit too much reality for the general public, 'bad taste an' all that'.
The irony was not lost on Dury who also commented that sinse 1982 was 'The year of the disabled', did that mean that all the disabled people were not going to be disabled anymore in 1983? or was the world going to change for them when Big Ben struck 12 for the new year of 83? I suspect that these questions were partly the reason Dury's "Spastic anthem" was not allowed the airplay it deserved.
The shows set looked like it had been made for a smaller stage and thats because it had, but they used the set to its best and it didnt detract from the show which was well written, funny and dare I say it...heart warming, I came out loving Dury even more than I did when I entered the Theatre.
And if that wasnt all, I got to accidentally kick Jason Donovan in the back of the ankle by mistake as I misjudged a step going in, he was in the queue right in front of me, Im sure I once said that if I ever met him I would give him what for...but that was when that whole Kylie crap was going on and as one of a million empty threats I issue every day I wasnt going to remember what I was going to do to him, so I let him off.
If this play ever gets to have a proper run I advise everyone to go and see it, and have a pukka night out, in a Theatre, with lots of swearing (I lost count of the number of ''cunts'' flying round the stage), and some great tunes sung live by the lead actor who not only looks the part but also sings them well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment